- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cup cups green beans, end trimmed and cut into bit size pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons natural peanut butter (ingredients of peanuts and oil and maybe salt)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinse, drained (and you can cut them up if desired)
- 2 cups brown rice or quinoa
- 3 tablespoons freshly lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, and chili powder and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the green beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, peanut butter, stock and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the stew simmers, prepare the rice or quinoa.
Stir the lemon juice and cilantro into the stew and serve with the rice or quinoa.